Μετάβαση στο κύριο περιεχόμενο

Translate

Search

Alexis Mavrantonis proud to represent her heritage. Getting ready for the Rugby League World Cup.

#GreekGirlsCan 

Today I am catching up with Alexis Mavrantonis. Alexis is member of the Greek national rugby league team in Australia. The team launched few months ago with Stuart McLennan as Head Coach. They did an amazing start in their first ever rugby league tournament winning the second place. 

-It's a great honor and pleasure to have in Greek Girls Can today Alexis! Thank you!
Would you like to tell us few things about yourself.

-Hello! Thank you for having me I’m 26, of Greek/Cypriot heritage and currently work for the Rabbitohs in match day events my life is pretty much surrounded by playing or watching sport. If I’m not doing that then I’m probably at the beach or catching up with friends and family.
-What does rugby league mean to you? When did you start getting involved with it?

-Footy has always been a big part of my life, I started watching league from as young as I can remember as my Papou would always have it on the tv. The Rabbitohs came and did a school visit while I was in primary school as I went to school in the area so I have always followed them since then. I would of been around 10! I actually grew up playing basketball and never even thought that playing footy would be possible. When I started Uni a lot of my friends were playing touch football so I got into that just socially, until 2018 when the Rabbitohs announced they were entering a Women’s team and a whole new world of opportunity opened up for me not just for my career but also as a sport to play.  

-Why rugby league? What made you start playing this sport?

 -I always wanted to have a crack but I never knew where to start. Lucky as I was already working in the industry as Women’s rugby league grew I was able to become a part of it. I had no idea the Jillaroos had been competing for so many years, it was never covered in the media. I think this is part of why I’m so passionate about making sure all girls have the awareness and the opportunity to play if they want to.


-Recently you represented Greece in a 9s rugby league tournament in Sydney. How does it feel to be part of this team? 

-It was such a great experience. Stu, Terry and Rob were able to pull us together with only two training sessions and it’s something I’ll cherish forever.

-How does it feel to wear the Greek national shirt and represent your heritage?

 -I felt so proud to represent my heritage which is something I have always wanted to do and to know that this could help encourage other young girls to also want to play and aspire to what will hopefully be part of the next Rugby League World Cup.


-Do you have any pre-match routines?

-Ummm I get really nervous! Haha I try to wake up early have a good breakfast (eggs on toast) and a coffee. I will try to go for a walk and a dip in the ocean to wake myself up and start to prepare for the game.  

-Do you have any role model? Who is/are the athlete/athletes that inspire you? And why?

 -I really love to follow Maria Sakkari’s tennis journey! Her agility and athleticism is so inspiring. In the rugby league world Katie Brown is my hero, a journalist turned player what can’t she do?!


-Last year the girls of the national Greek team here in Greece played their first ever game against Turkey. Can you see your self and your teammates part of this team in international games? 

 -I really hope that one day when it’s safe to do so we are able to travel and meet the other Greek girls! If My body still lets me play in a few years I would love to, otherwise I’d hopefully be part of the coaching/management team to help make the rugby league World Cup dream come true.  

-Which is the next goal for the team? Are any future games that you are looking forward to?

 -We were hopefully going to play against Vanuatu in the pacific islands however with COVID still around we may look to play another international team based locally, details are yet to be confirmed. 


-What would you like to say to Greek girls in Australia to encourage them to take up the sport?

-The opportunity is here, take a chance and have a go! I have only been playing for a few years, so you never know where the sport can take you. There’s positions for  everyone, you’ll never know unless you give it a go. 

Before we finish I would like to thank you for giving us your time Alexis! Its been a great pleasure to chat with you today! 

 

 My page is @alexismav you can follow the team I support at @ssfcwomens, keep you to date with all things Greek rugby league @rugbyleaguegr


Σχόλια

#GreekGirlsCanBlog

Greek Girls Can

Greek Girls Can
#GreekGirlsCan

Contact us

Όνομα

Ηλεκτρονικό ταχυδρομείο *

Μήνυμα *

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις από αυτό το ιστολόγιο

Μαριαννα Σφυριδη "A soul split between science and art"

#GreekGirlsCan   Είναι μεγάλη μου χαρά και τιμή που καλωσορίζω σήμερα στην ομάδα του Greek Girls Can την Μαριάννα Σφυρίδη.  Η Μαριάννα είναι φαρμακοποιός και επαγγελματίας χορεύτρια από την Κάρυστο της Εύβοιας. Πρόσφατα είδα ένα project που παρουσίασε στα social media και πραγματικά ήταν κάτι που μου κίνησε το ενδιαφέρον χορογραφικά, μουσικά αλλά και γενικότερα σε καλλιτεχνικό επίπεδο γι'αυτό και της ζήτησα να κάνουμε αυτή τη συνέντευξη.  ...Και καπως έτσι να σας συστήσω λοιπόν την Μαριάννα... για να ακούσουμε τι έχει να μας πει.. "Γεια σας λέγομαι Μαριάννα Σφυρίδη είμαι 28 χρονών και τα τελευταία χρόνια ζω και εργάζομαι στην Αθήνα, στην Ελλάδα. Έχω σπουδάσει φαρμακευτική στην Αγγλία, στο Λονδίνο όπου και έζησα κάποια χρόνια και πλέον κάνω σπουδές επαγγελματικές στο χορό τα πρωινά και τα απογεύματα εργάζομαι σε φαρμακείο..." Δείτε την συνέχεια της συνέντευξης στα βίντεο των συνδέσμων που ακολουθούν. Μαριάννα Σφυρίδη (Marianna Sfyridi) part 1 Μαριάννα Σ

Ειρηνη Αλεξανδρη Road to Tokyo 2021 Synchronized Swimming

Γειά σας. Με λένε Ειρήνη Αλεξανδρή, είμαι 23 ετών και κατάγομαι από τον Βόλο. Από το 2012 ζω μαζί με τις αδερφές μου Άννα-Μαρία και Βασιλική στην Αυστρία. Μερικές από τις σημαντικότερες επιτυχίες μου είναι ο τελικός στους ολυμπιακούς αγώνες στο Ρίο ντε Τζανέιρο το 2016, η 8η θέση στο παγκόσμιο πρωτάθλημα το 2017 και 2019 και το ασημένιο μετάλλιο (δεύτερη θέση) στην κατηγορία νεανίδων στην Ευρώπη το 2015. 1) Πες μας δύο λόγια για τον εαυτό σου: Καλλιτεχνική κολύμβηση ξεκίνησα μαζί με τις αδερφές μου στην ηλικία των τρεισήμισι ετών έως και σήμερα. Τον πρώτο χρόνο κάναμε κολύμβηση ώστε να μάθουμε να κολυμπάμε και έπειτα αποκλειστικά καλλιτεχνική κολύμβηση. Λόγω των καθημερινών πολύωρων προπονήσεών μας, έχουμε σπάνια ελεύθερο χρόνο. Μερικά από τα χόμπι μου είναι η μαγειρική και να ακούω μουσική για ψυχική χαλάρωση. Λατρεύω τα ζώα και μου αρέσουν τα ταξίδια. 2) Εκτός από τη συγχρονισμένη κολύμβηση έχετε ασχοληθεί και με άλλα αθλήματα?  Σε μικρότερη ηλικία ασχολούμαστ